Sadly, the original Schifferkirche St. Nikola in Oberndorf, Austria near Salzburg had to be demolished due to heavy damage from several floods, but, in tribute to the Stille Nacht carol, a small chapel was built in its place. The Silent Night Memorial Chapel was built at the original location of the parish church between 1924 and 1936.
In 1818--exactly two hundred years ago this December!--the young priest at that Schifferkirche St. Nikola, Joseph Mohr, wrote a poem for the Christmas Eve service. He asked the organist, Franz Gruber, to set it to music, and Stille Nacht (Silent Night) was created. The carol, with its gentle melody, harmonized by only three chords, has been translated into over 140 languages, and is easily the single most recorded and performed Christmas song of all.
To celebrate this anniversary, we're calling all CAE and Concert Choir alums: Come join us in the magnificent Lourdes Chapel of Assisi Heights to sing once again the traditional conclusion to Christmas at Assisi--Stille Nacht by candlelight! It would be so special to see--and hear--ALL of you this weekend!