Here's the scoop on auditions for our 2017-18 season.
Scheduled auditions are completed but we will hear interested signers on a case-by-case basis. Auditions take place at the Choral Arts Ensemble offices on the ground floor of Assisi Heights. Any interested adult singer in the SE MN region with a musical background (preferably with experience singing the repertoire CAE presents) may audition; all singers must audition annually. The 10-minute audition consists of tonal memory and rhythm exercises, sightsinging, and range tests.
Rehearsals are 6:45-9:45 pm on Tuesdays, beginning in late August. Thursday or Friday dress rehearsals are also called the week of each concert series. There are 4-5 regular concert series per season, plus several non-season concert opportunities, including our annual benefit A Singing Valentine.
Approximately 40 singers (SATB) will be accepted each year to sing with CAE. Auditions for solo opportunities will be held throughout the season as needed.
You may email an audition inquiry here. Download an audition form here. Please print, complete and bring to your audition.
• experience in choral singing
• ability to learn music quickly and independently
• commitment for entire season
• conscientious advance preparation before rehearsals
Benefits to singers:
• opportunity to perform with professional conductor, accomplished peers, and professional instrumentalists from SE MN
• opportunity to perform a variety of challenging repertoire — from Renaissance masterworks to 20th century works and newly commissioned pieces
• rehearsal & performance space, office support, and publicity provided
• educational opportunities / enrichment to other musical pursuits
• soloist opportunities
• music and learning cds provided
• congenial environment / opportunity to befriend those with similar interests
Expectations of singers
Be on time and be prepared for a great rehearsal
Attend all regular rehearsals. One absence per concert series is allowed if necessary – more than that needs to be discussed with the conductor.
Make a year-long commitment
CAE does not request any dues, but we would appreciate any financial donation you are able to give and assist with the success of the Annual Benefit in February by donating an item or two
Make a concerted effort to participate in as many extra performances as possible
Be an advocate for Choral Arts Ensemble and all the arts in general within the community